Sunday, May 20, 2012

Katniss of Shalott



Late Thursday Morning

I awoke in a tower
High, untouchable
Not really sure how I got here
Alone with my mirror, my loom
Bow and arrows and sharpened wit
No doors
Just a window
I looked down...then away
Dizzy
But I could do this
Alone

I saw them coming
Princes, knights, vagabonds
Scaling the wall to reach me
Bastards
So I grabbed my bow
Shot them down
One
By one

This tower
This prison
High
Real
Somehow I'd find my way out
Or die trying
Or die here
But if I can't rescue myself I don't think I'm worth saving

*****

If I was any good at Photoshop (or drawing) I'd composite a picture for this post with a gray brick tower in a grassy field, a girl in the window with her bow and arrow drawn, magnificent green gown, Katniss's side braid but Jennifer Lawrence's natural blonde hair. Muted colors. The word independence etched subtly in the bricks, folly scrawled into the window ledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment